Following, are the 3 reasons why we believe you can exercise in our clubs in total confidence.
1. Gyms aren’t infection hotspots
Numerous studies have shown that gyms are not infection hotspots. Stanford University, for instance, found that going to the gym is less risky than going to (many) other indoor locations surveyed. Reduced capacity (such as working with a booking system) is also super effective, as the figures below demonstrate.
The average rate of infection per 100,000 gym visitors is 1.12. This is evidenced by information gathered by EuropeActive (an organization which champions the benefits of keeping fit). Based on over 115 million visits to fitness clubs (in Germany, France, Sweden, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Poland, Denmark, Luxembourg and the United Kingdom), only 0.0012% of visitors reported a positive result.
The statistics speak for themselves! There have been more than 33 million visits to our gyms since they first re-opened (in 2020). Not one of the more than 900 Basic-Fit clubs has proven to be a source of infection. In addition, Basic-Fit clubs in Spain have fortunately been allowed to remain open (in 2021) and our members can (still) enjoy working out there responsibly.
This shows that the COVID-19 measures put in place in the clubs (to provide you with safe, healthy and pleasant surroundings to train in) do help reduce the risk of infection.
2. Strict and effective measures have been put in place at all Basic-Fit clubs
We have put a number of measures in place in order to guarantee you and other members a safe environment for sport.
Measures for a safe environment for sport
- It is now mandatory to book your visit to the club in advance using Gymtime (in the Basic-Fit app). This means you can be confident that only a limited number of members are present in the club at one time.
- Some fitness equipment and areas are (temporarily) out of use, in order to ensure a safe distance.
- Face masks must be worn (can be taken off during exercise).
- 6,284 more hours have been added to the normal cleaning rota.
- We allow a minimum of 15 minutes for cleaning between group sessions, to leave sufficient time to ventilate and clean the room.
A comprehensive and up-to-date summary of all measures can be found on the safety page.
3. Exercise strengthens your immune system
Keeping in good shape during a pandemic is an important aspect of looking after yourself. It helps you stay healthy, fit and happy. And it also works as good stress relief.
Benefits at a glance
- It helps boost your immune system and stay in good shape (physically and mentally).
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Improves blood circulation and oxygen saturation, and overall heart strength.
- Reduces the risk of diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Reduces the risk of being overweight or obese (by reducing both body weight and fat build-up in the body).
- Reduces stress and anxiety by releasing 'happy hormones' (dopamine and endorphins).
- Improves quality and amount of sleep, as it takes less time to fall asleep.