Following, are the 3 reasons why we believe that gyms could remain open despite the pandemic, without risk to their users:
1. Numerous studies around the world show that infections do not spread in gyms:
- In France:
The statistics speak for themselves! Since the reopening of the gyms in France as part of the easing of the lockdown in June, 10 million people have visited our Basic-Fit clubs. Not one of our 450 French clubs is a source of infection.
- In the United Kingdom:
We can see a similar trend in the UK. According to the information that was collected by ukactive (an association that highlights the benefits of fitness), it appears that the number of registered infections per 100,000 users is 0.35. This shows that the health security protocols implemented to monitor and report cases of COVID-19 are helping to reduce the risk of gym users catching the virus.
- In the United States:
According to the latest study conducted by IHRSA (International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association) and MXM (Member Experience Management), which analysed 2,873 gyms in the United States over 3 months, out of 49,4 million fitness sessions in gyms, only 0.0023 % of cases have tested positive for COVID-19. This is 500 times less than the national average!
2. Rigorous and effective hygiene protocols have been implemented in all Basic-Fit clubs:
- Advance booking of training sessions through the Basic-Fit application
- Temporary deactivation of some equipment to always maintain the safety distance of 1.50 meters.
- Implementing a minimum of 15 minutes between group classes to allow enough time for the area to be ventilated and cleaned.
- We have added an additional 6,284 hours for cleaning, to the regular schedule.
- Ongoing recommendations for our members: Do not come if you have any symptoms, use the water fountains only for filling bottles, wash your hands frequently, clean all equipment before and after each use, maintain a physical distance of 1.50 m at all times, bring your own equipment whenever possible etc.
3. Now that autumn is around the corner, exercising helps to boost your immune system:
- Regular physical activity is especially important when the immune system is under stress, in order to improve your defence mechanism and to stay in good shape, both physically and mentally. It is even an indirect factor that it reduces the number of people considered “at risk” during the pandemic:
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases: Exercising improves resistance, blood circulation and oxigenation of the heart and also reduces the risk of diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Limits the risk of being overweight or obese, reducing both body weight and the accumulation of fat in the body.
- It reduces stress and anxiety by releasing hormones that help you to feel good (dopamine and endorphin).
Exercising is part of the solution, not the problem!